The search engine is a program that searches documents for exact, phrase or broad keywords and returns a list of the documents where the particular keywords were found. It is considered to search for information on the World Wide Web. Popular examples of search engines are Google, Bing, Yahoo! And MSN etc.
At present, The world is thousands of different search engines accessible on the Internet. And every search engine carries with their own abilities and features. The first search engine ever developed is measured, Archie. This was used to search for FTP files and the first text-based search engine is measured, Veronica. At present, the most accepted and well famous search engine is Googl.com.
As huge search engines control millions and sometimes billions of pages, many search engines not only just search the pages but also present the results depending upon their significance. This significance is commonly determined by using different algorithms.
How do a search engine works?
In the above picture gives a pattern of how a search engine works. Actually, the starting point of all search engines is a spider or crawler. Spider or crawler visits the pages that will be included in the search and grabs the contents of each of those pages. How it works practical, now I show below by image-
Previously a page has been crawled the data limited within the page is processed, often this involves-
- To strip out stop words,
- To grab the location of each of the words in the page,
- The regularity they occur,
- Links to other pages & images etc.
This data is used to rank the page and is the primary method a search engine uses to find out if a page should be shown and in what order.
There are a lot of search engine presented in the world. All most important search engines lists for all purpose are given below-
- Live Search
- Alexa Internet
Search engines just see the text on web pages. It uses the underlying HTML formation to choose relevance. Large photos or dynamic Flash animation mean nothing to search engines but the real text on your pages does. It is difficult to create a Flash site that is friendly to search engines. As a result, Flash sites will learn not to rank as high as sites develop with well coded HTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets- a complex device for adding styles to website pages above and beyond regular HTML). If the condition you want to be found by do not show in the text of your website, it will be very difficult for your website to defer high position in the SERPs.
When you go to search engine and write down something in the search box then you find a new result. The search results have generally presented a list of results that a search engine returns in response to a specific word or phrase query, it is called search engine results pages (SERPs). Each listing includes-
- The linked home page or web page title,
- The linked page URL (Uniform Resource Locator),
- A brief description of the home page or page content and it is called meta description.
This results in Google displays the website or web pages it considers relevant, authoritative and trusted. Authority and trusted are mostly considered by analyzing the number and excellence of links from the website or web pages.
Search Engine summary:
- Search engines are a tremendously powerful way to promote your website online.
- It’s quietly working in the background to consider your silent public relations.
- It brings targeted traffic to your website.
- It can always deliver your site to your audiences.
- It is the source of information that you gained by it.
- Archie: It’s a tool for indexing FTP archives, allowing people to get specific files. It’s considered to be the first Interest search engine.
- FTP: It stands for the File Transfer Protocol (FTP). It is a standard network protocol used to transfer computer files from one host to another host by the Internet and to build on a client-server architecture and uses separate control and data connections between the client and the server.
- Veronica: It is a program that allowed you search the files of the Internet’s Gopher servers for an exacting search string. It’s an indexing spider that visits the Gopher sites, reads all the directory and file names, and then indexes them in one large index.
- Algorithms: It is a computer program that can be viewed as an elaborate algorithm and a small procedure that solves a recurrent problem.